[UK OFFICIAL] Renaming components/workers/devices

WD
Walters Dominic A
Mon, Jan 27, 2020 11:34 AM

Classification: UK OFFICIAL

What would you suggest is the best way to rename an existing device worker?
Right now I just go through and edit each file that I think uses the device worker name, and then build and try to work out which files I've missed :D
Is there a better way of doing this atm?
I think it'd be useful to have something like "ocpidev rename <old> <new>", although I appreciate that that'd be basically impossible to get to work reliably especially when something like an assembly uses the old name.
I might end up just writing a script to at least "find and replace" the name in project.xml and mv the .xml, .vhd/.cc, and the folder containing them to the new name.

Dominic Walters

"This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only.  Its unauthorised use,
disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  Communications with Dstl are monitored and/or
recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business
metrics and training.  Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy."

"If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and notify the author of
the email and centralenq@dstl.gov.uk"

[...]
JK
James Kulp
Mon, Jan 27, 2020 1:29 PM

Hi Walter,

Are you using the AV GUI?  That has different "caching" issues than if
you are just using the command line and ocpidev.

For VHDL workers (with release 1.5 and the version=2 attribute), there
is no embedding of the name in the worker's own source code.

So normally renaming the worker's directory name, its OWD XML file and
its source file is sufficient (and a "clean" in the worker's directory).

A "rename" verb in ocpidev is a good idea (as well as a "copy").

There will still be some remnants of the old worker until a clean build
happens at the project level.

Jim

On 1/27/20 6:34 AM, Walters Dominic A via discuss wrote:

[...]

Hi Walter, Are you using the AV GUI?  That has different "caching" issues than if you are just using the command line and ocpidev. For VHDL workers (with release 1.5 and the version=2 attribute), there is no embedding of the name in the worker's own source code. So normally renaming the worker's directory name, its OWD XML file and its source file is sufficient (and a "clean" in the worker's directory). A "rename" verb in ocpidev is a good idea (as well as a "copy"). There will still be some remnants of the old worker until a clean build happens at the project level. Jim On 1/27/20 6:34 AM, Walters Dominic A via discuss wrote: > Classification: UK OFFICIAL > > > What would you suggest is the best way to rename an existing device worker? > Right now I just go through and edit each file that I think uses the device worker name, and then build and try to work out which files I've missed :D > Is there a better way of doing this atm? > I think it'd be useful to have something like "ocpidev rename <old> <new>", although I appreciate that that'd be basically impossible to get to work reliably especially when something like an assembly uses the old name. > I might end up just writing a script to at least "find and replace" the name in project.xml and mv the .xml, .vhd/.cc, and the folder containing them to the new name. > > Dominic Walters > > "This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only. Its unauthorised use, > disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. Communications with Dstl are monitored and/or > recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business > metrics and training. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy." > > "If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and notify the author of > the email and centralenq@dstl.gov.uk" >
WD
Walters Dominic A
Mon, Jan 27, 2020 3:51 PM

Classification: UK OFFICIAL

(re-replied as I forgot to include the mailing list)

Hey,

I'm using command line, but 1.4 with hdl version 1.
Right now OCPI generates the vhdl source file with "architecture rtl of <worker-name>_worker is".
I'm unfamiliar with how 1.5 gets around this requirement of VHDL, I'll have to try it out and see at some point.

Thanks,
D. Walters

[...]

scrubbed...
hment%2ehtml> _______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
discuss@lists.opencpi.org
http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=7369&d=geau3hsbQ2NEWLQId1lw2g7buEWWPF
QE1mIT6r5QLQ&u=http%3a%2f%2flists%2eopencpi%2eorg%2fmailman%2flistinfo
%2fdiscuss%5flists%2eopencpi%2eorg

discuss mailing list
discuss@lists.opencpi.org

"This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only.  Its unauthorised use,
disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  Communications with Dstl are monitored and/or
recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business
metrics and training.  Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy."

"If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and notify the author of
the email and centralenq@dstl.gov.uk"

Classification: UK OFFICIAL (re-replied as I forgot to include the mailing list) Hey, I'm using command line, but 1.4 with hdl version 1. Right now OCPI generates the vhdl source file with "architecture rtl of <worker-name>_worker is". I'm unfamiliar with how 1.5 gets around this requirement of VHDL, I'll have to try it out and see at some point. Thanks, D. Walters -----Original Message----- From: discuss <discuss-bounces@lists.opencpi.org> On Behalf Of James Kulp Sent: 27 January 2020 13:30 To: discuss@lists.opencpi.org Subject: Re: [Discuss OpenCPI] [UK OFFICIAL] Renaming components/workers/devices Hi Walter, Are you using the AV GUI?  That has different "caching" issues than if you are just using the command line and ocpidev. For VHDL workers (with release 1.5 and the version=2 attribute), there is no embedding of the name in the worker's own source code. So normally renaming the worker's directory name, its OWD XML file and its source file is sufficient (and a "clean" in the worker's directory). A "rename" verb in ocpidev is a good idea (as well as a "copy"). There will still be some remnants of the old worker until a clean build happens at the project level. Jim On 1/27/20 6:34 AM, Walters Dominic A via discuss wrote: > Classification: UK OFFICIAL > > > What would you suggest is the best way to rename an existing device worker? > Right now I just go through and edit each file that I think uses the > device worker name, and then build and try to work out which files I've missed :D Is there a better way of doing this atm? > I think it'd be useful to have something like "ocpidev rename <old> <new>", although I appreciate that that'd be basically impossible to get to work reliably especially when something like an assembly uses the old name. > I might end up just writing a script to at least "find and replace" the name in project.xml and mv the .xml, .vhd/.cc, and the folder containing them to the new name. > > Dominic Walters > > "This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only. Its unauthorised use, > disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. Communications with > Dstl are monitored and/or recorded for system efficiency and other > lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business metrics and training. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy." > > "If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your > system and notify the author of the email and centralenq@dstl.gov.uk" > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was > scrubbed... > URL: > <http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=7369&d=geau3hsbQ2NEWLQId1lw2g7buEWWP > FQE1mZD6uRQew&u=http%3a%2f%2flists%2eopencpi%2eorg%2fpipermail%2fdiscu > ss%5flists%2eopencpi%2eorg%2fattachments%2f20200127%2f696cb43c%2fattac > hment%2ehtml> _______________________________________________ > discuss mailing list > discuss@lists.opencpi.org > http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=7369&d=geau3hsbQ2NEWLQId1lw2g7buEWWPF > QE1mIT6r5QLQ&u=http%3a%2f%2flists%2eopencpi%2eorg%2fmailman%2flistinfo > %2fdiscuss%5flists%2eopencpi%2eorg _______________________________________________ discuss mailing list discuss@lists.opencpi.org http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=7369&d=geau3hsbQ2NEWLQId1lw2g7buEWWPFQE1mIT6r5QLQ&u=http%3a%2f%2flists%2eopencpi%2eorg%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2fdiscuss%5flists%2eopencpi%2eorg "This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only. Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. Communications with Dstl are monitored and/or recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business metrics and training. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy." "If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and notify the author of the email and centralenq@dstl.gov.uk"
JK
James Kulp
Tue, Jan 28, 2020 8:10 PM

On 1/27/20 10:51 AM, Walters Dominic A via discuss wrote:

Classification: UK OFFICIAL

(re-replied as I forgot to include the mailing list)

Hey,

I'm using command line, but 1.4 with hdl version 1.
Right now OCPI generates the vhdl source file with "architecture rtl of <worker-name>_worker is".
I'm unfamiliar with how 1.5 gets around this requirement of VHDL, I'll have to try it out and see at some point.

Since the worker entity name was already scoped by its library, it did
not need to be uniquely named, so for 1.5 (with v2 workers), we changed:

architecture rtl of <worker-name>_worker is

architecture rtl of worker is

thus the worker can now be renamed without worrying about that name.  That was one of several changes that resulted in v2.

Jim

Thanks,
D. Walters