Python 3.4 Requirement

BP
Brian Padalino
Thu, Mar 5, 2020 7:26 PM

I noticed in v1.6.0 of OpenCPI, all the Python scripts seem to call out,
explicitly, python3.4 - is there a reason for explicitly using python3.4
versus just python3?

The RCC environment I'm working in doesn't have python3.4, so I just made a
symlink to python3 and let the scripts run.

I'm curious if anyone with more information knows if this is feasible and
why it was chosen to pin against python3.4 instead of just python3?

Thanks,
Brian

I noticed in v1.6.0 of OpenCPI, all the Python scripts seem to call out, explicitly, python3.4 - is there a reason for explicitly using python3.4 versus just python3? The RCC environment I'm working in doesn't have python3.4, so I just made a symlink to python3 and let the scripts run. I'm curious if anyone with more information knows if this is feasible and why it was chosen to pin against python3.4 instead of just python3? Thanks, Brian
NK
Nathan Knowles
Thu, Mar 5, 2020 9:49 PM

Hi Brian,

That decision was made in the context of supporting CentOS 7/6 without considering other more up-to-date OS's (Ubuntu for example). In hindsight it was a poor decision made by me and will be addressed in v1.7.0. Your workaround is good and is what I would suggest to others using a newer version of Python 3.

Since we still support CentOS 6 and it is limited to Python3.4 (unless python is installed not using yum, which is not supported), our python scripts will not use newer features added after 3.4 until we drop support for CentOS 6. CentOS 6 is EOL/EOS this year in November. We plan to add support for CentOS 8 and drop support for CentOS 6 before that time.

Sorry for the hassle.

-Nathan

I noticed in v1.6.0 of OpenCPI, all the Python scripts seem to call out, explicitly, python3.4 - is there a reason for explicitly using python3.4 versus just python3?

The RCC environment I'm working in doesn't have python3.4, so I just made a symlink to python3 and let the scripts run.

I'm curious if anyone with more information knows if this is feasible and why it was chosen to pin against python3.4 instead of just python3?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian, That decision was made in the context of supporting CentOS 7/6 without considering other more up-to-date OS's (Ubuntu for example). In hindsight it was a poor decision made by me and will be addressed in v1.7.0. Your workaround is good and is what I would suggest to others using a newer version of Python 3. Since we still support CentOS 6 and it is limited to Python3.4 (unless python is installed not using yum, which is not supported), our python scripts will not use newer features added after 3.4 until we drop support for CentOS 6. CentOS 6 is EOL/EOS this year in November. We plan to add support for CentOS 8 and drop support for CentOS 6 before that time. Sorry for the hassle. -Nathan -----Original Message----- From: discuss <discuss-bounces@lists.opencpi.org> On Behalf Of Brian Padalino Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 1:27 PM To: discuss@lists.opencpi.org Subject: [Discuss OpenCPI] Python 3.4 Requirement I noticed in v1.6.0 of OpenCPI, all the Python scripts seem to call out, explicitly, python3.4 - is there a reason for explicitly using python3.4 versus just python3? The RCC environment I'm working in doesn't have python3.4, so I just made a symlink to python3 and let the scripts run. I'm curious if anyone with more information knows if this is feasible and why it was chosen to pin against python3.4 instead of just python3? Thanks, Brian
BP
Brian Padalino
Thu, Mar 5, 2020 10:54 PM

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:49 PM Nathan Knowles nathan.knowles@cnftech.com
wrote:

Hi Brian,

That decision was made in the context of supporting CentOS 7/6 without
considering other more up-to-date OS's (Ubuntu for example). In hindsight
it was a poor decision made by me and will be addressed in v1.7.0. Your
workaround is good and is what I would suggest to others using a newer
version of Python 3.

Excellent, thanks!

Since we still support CentOS 6 and it is limited to Python3.4 (unless
python is installed not using yum, which is not supported), our python
scripts will not use newer features added after 3.4 until we drop support
for CentOS 6. CentOS 6 is EOL/EOS this year in November. We plan to add
support for CentOS 8 and drop support for CentOS 6 before that time.

Sorry for the hassle.

No need to apologize.  I just wasn't sure if there was a deeper reasoning.

Thanks for the quick response!

Brian

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:49 PM Nathan Knowles <nathan.knowles@cnftech.com> wrote: > Hi Brian, > > That decision was made in the context of supporting CentOS 7/6 without > considering other more up-to-date OS's (Ubuntu for example). In hindsight > it was a poor decision made by me and will be addressed in v1.7.0. Your > workaround is good and is what I would suggest to others using a newer > version of Python 3. > Excellent, thanks! > > Since we still support CentOS 6 and it is limited to Python3.4 (unless > python is installed not using yum, which is not supported), our python > scripts will not use newer features added after 3.4 until we drop support > for CentOS 6. CentOS 6 is EOL/EOS this year in November. We plan to add > support for CentOS 8 and drop support for CentOS 6 before that time. > > Sorry for the hassle. > No need to apologize. I just wasn't sure if there was a deeper reasoning. Thanks for the quick response! Brian