Re: [Discuss OpenCPI] Duration for Unit Test on Zed

MP
Miller, Peter
Mon, Jun 25, 2018 1:40 PM

Thank you, sir, that will do the trick! Perhaps for the next release of AV you might consider changing duration to microseconds.

From: aponchak aponchak@office.geontech.com
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2018 9:25 AM
To: Miller, Peter PeterM@signalscape.com
Cc: discuss@lists.opencpi.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss OpenCPI] Duration for Unit Test on Zed

  1. duration and timeout are size_t (unsigned integer types), so the smallest possible is 1 sec. This variables are defined in ocpigen/src/tests.cxx, so you might try changing them to support your needs, < 1 sec.

  2. Reference CDG, Section 13.3.5. Create a unique case for each platform and limit the duration.

<tests>

----global (for all test cases): I/O and properties----

We have a unit test for a component (phy_tx_802dot11g.test) to run on xsim and on zed. The component does not emit a ZLM and so we use duration to limit the test. In xsim this is 120 seconds <case duration='120'> But for zed we need to limit it to about 100 usec. It appears that duration is in integer seconds as case duration='0.001' runs forever and the file gets big fast.

  1. How can we limit the duration of a unit test in microsec for zed?

  2. How can we write a unit tester with cases specific to zed and to xsim?

Sincerely,

Peter B. Miller

Potomac: (301) 765-9668

--------------------------- This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of Signalscape, Inc. and the addressed individual or entity. If you have received this email in error please delete it. Information in this email may be subject to the Privacy Act of 1974 and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

discuss@lists.opencpi.orgmailto:discuss@lists.opencpi.org

--------------------------- This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of Signalscape, Inc. and the addressed individual or entity. If you have received this email in error please delete it. Information in this email may be subject to the Privacy Act of 1974 and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

JK
James Kulp
Mon, Jun 25, 2018 5:34 PM

Just to be clear, the "duration" and "timeout" are seconds since they
are meant to be a gross measure of time from the top level of the
testing framework, which may even be a system that is distant from the
actual execution.

I.e. it is rare that all the machinery being involved are fast enough
for the difference between 1 second and 1ms  and 1 us to matter much.

That said, we could certainly change the data type to a float and allow
sub-second times.

Having a timeout that corresponds to actual real-time execution is
different and harder.

On 6/25/18 9:40 AM, Miller, Peter wrote:

[...]

Mon, Jun 25, 2018 5:42 PM

Understood. When generating at 20M complex samples/sec. continuously you get 80MB per sec. When I left duration=120 (for xsim) I got a big file out when run on zed. I can stick nanosleep() in the ACI but ocpirun was where this came from.

[...]

discuss mailing list
discuss@lists.opencpi.org
--------------------------- This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of Signalscape, Inc. and the addressed individual or entity. If you have received this email in error please delete it. Information in this email may be subject to the Privacy Act of 1974 and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

MP
Miller, Peter
Wed, Jun 27, 2018 9:38 PM

Did you guys respond to this? If my unit -test.xml file has:
<case OnlyPlatforms='xsim' duration='180'>
<input port='in' file="../../../test_vectors/PassbandIQ_NonHT_MCS0_Fs20MHz.rx1.raw" />
<output port='out' file='../../../test_vectors/PassbandIQ_NonHT_MCS0_Fs20MHz_RxOutVec.bin' />
</case>
<case OnlyPlatforms='zed' duration='1'>
<input port='in' file="../../../test_vectors/PassbandIQ_NonHT_MCS0_Fs20MHz.rx1.raw" />
<output port='out' file='../../../test_vectors/PassbandIQ_NonHT_MCS0_Fs20MHz_RxOutVec.bin' />
</case>

Running "make runonly" will cause xsim and zed each to run on both case 00 and case 01
Running "make runonly OnlyPlatform="zed" Cases="case00.00" " will run case00 on zed
So the " case OnlyPlatforms" element in the xml appears to be ignored.

[...]

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

discuss mailing list

discuss@lists.opencpi.orgmailto:discuss@lists.opencpi.org

--------------------------- This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of Signalscape, Inc. and the addressed individual or entity. If you have received this email in error please delete it. Information in this email may be subject to the Privacy Act of 1974 and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
scrubbed...

discuss mailing list
discuss@lists.opencpi.org

discuss mailing list
discuss@lists.opencpi.org
--------------------------- This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of Signalscape, Inc. and the addressed individual or entity. If you have received this email in error please delete it. Information in this email may be subject to the Privacy Act of 1974 and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

MA
Marasco, Aaron
Thu, Jun 28, 2018 10:48 AM

We did not address it with you, sorry. We're internally verifying that right now. At this time, it looks like it's a bug, sorry.

[...]

Thu, Jun 28, 2018 1:04 PM

It has been verified that it gets ignored at the case level. Filed an internal bug AV-4278. Sorry I have no other info right now; hopefully somebody can revisit by 1.4.